Report: Infiniti GT-R Sedan dead in the water
In February, it was reported that Nissan scrapped plans for a 240SX/Silvia successor, while also putting the so-called Infiniti GT-R Sedan on hold indefinitely. Following comments made by Nissan executives at the New York Auto Show on Wednesday, it now appears there is little to no hope for a GT-R-based flagship sedan from Infiniti at any point in the foreseeable future.
Brian Carolin, Nissan's Senior VP of Sales and Marketing, was quoted as saying there is no Infiniti flagship on the horizon. "There's nothing in the product plan," Carolin told Edmunds. "It's just not a priority." The report also indicates there no hope for a production version of the Infiniti Essence coupe.
A year ago, Infiniti dealers were clamoring for a four-door luxury version of the GT-R. Given today's economy, "it's way down on their wish list," explained Carolin.
As recently as October, it was reported Nissan had approved the GT-R sedan project. Prior to the launch of the GT-R coupe, Infiniti dealers lobbied unsuccessfully to have the car badged as an Infiniti rather than a Nissan in the United States.
The Infiniti had been expected to be powered by a 420 horsepower version of the same 5.0-liter V8 used in the FX50. Power was to be sent to all four-wheels via the GT-R's AWD system, deliering a zero to 60 mph time of 5 seconds and a top speed of 170 mph. Now it appears the GT-R sedan will quite literally go nowhere.
Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn recently told employees the company must now focus all of its resources on small and medium-sized cars, including an electric Prius rival, expected to arrive in showrooms next year.