LeftLaneNews
  1. Home
  2. 2017 Chevy Silverado HD\'s hood scoop helps engine breathe

2017 Chevy Silverado HD's hood scoop helps engine breathe

by Justin King

The latest announcement douses cold water on speculation of a more powerful diesel engine for the 2017 model year.

General Motors has shed more light on its new hood scoop for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD.

The Sierra teaser earlier this week ignited speculation that GM's 6.6-liter Duramax diesel engine could be due for a significant overhaul or replacement.

The latest announcement appears to douse cold water on such hopes. The hood scoop does promise to improve engine operation, however there is no mention of a revision to the current output specs of 397 horsepower and 765 lb-ft of torque.

The new intake system pulls 60 percent of the diesel engine's intake air from an inlet at the front of the hood, where the temperature is much lower than inside the engine compartment. The other 40 percent is routed from a dry location in one of the front fenders.

GM claims the setup also creates a ram-air effect at highway speed, while an improved air/water separator helps dry the air before it is drawn into the engine. The air charge is forced around a sharp 180-degree turn, causing some humidity or mist to precipitate into larger droplets that are drained from the housing before the air continues on to the filter housing.

"Big, heavy raindrops from a thunderstorm are relatively easy to eliminate from air. The more challenging issue comes from the mist-like spray generated by semitrucks on wet highways," said GM's splash engineering guru, Kevin Dunn. "Those very fine water droplets prove more challenging to separate from the air. The air intake is an elegant solution that works well with water droplets of all sizes."

The company has not yet announced pricing or on-sale dates for its latest heavy-duty pickups.

Read more!